[mythtv-users] Vyond media server

Darryl Okahata darrylo at soco.agilent.com
Mon Jul 19 20:32:47 EDT 2004

"Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org> wrote:

> As far as the part on the lifetime Tivo subscription, that is only for
> the lifetime of the Tivo box, not your lifetime. So, if the Tivo fails
> one day after your warranty is up you are probably SOOL as I cannot

     The likeliest component to fail in a Tivo is the hard disk, and the
backup/reimage procedure is fairly painless (there's a bootable linux
CDROM for this).  This does, of course, assume that you have a recent
backup, which probably isn't too likely.  However, if you replace the
disk as soon as it starts acting up, there's a good chance that you can
copy all of the important information.  Even if you can't, an old backup
should be usable (you may only lose your preferences, etc.), and, if you
don't have a backup, there's a place that will sell you drop-in,
replacement Tivo drives.

[ The Tivo serial number is stored on the motherboard, not the hard
  disk.  ]

     Right now, it seems like I go through the "replace the Tivo drive"
process around once a year, but I think that's the fault of the cruddy
drives that I'm using (1 year warranty, and they seem to die around a
year and a week or two -- grrr).

> Still, the idea of being able to use Zap2It for free (other than
> completing the survey every 3 months) is appealing. To tell the truth, I
> would not mind paying $2-$4 a month for listings, but $13 is way too
> much.

     Umm, a Tivo with lifetime subscription (no monthly charges) is
probably CHEAPER than a mythtv box (and the Tivo UI is currently much
nicer, too, although mythtv's is certainly getting better).  I've
certainly spent more than the equivalent of 2 (two) Tivo boxes with
lifetime subscriptions on my two mythtv boxes.

     Of course, the Tivo box can only do TV (but it does it *SO* well).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo at soco.agilent.com