[mythtv-users] Guide/Advice/HOWTO for installing MythTV on SuSE 9.1Pro

Greg greg.d at cwgsy.net
Sun Jul 18 18:04:14 EDT 2004

> I saw an earlier thread from July 12 that mentions the
> location/availability of RPMs for SuSE 9.1.
>   >> Rpm's for SUSE 9 & 9.1 can be found here:
>   >> http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio/apt/suse/
>   >>
>   >> Kindly provided by Øystein Olsen......bloody nice bloke :)
>   >...But if SuSE works now, definitely go for those rpms.
> The biggest gotcha on
>   >SuSE is the need for a custom Qt (also provided there),
> since the one
>   >distributed by SuSE is broken.
>
> I have gotten KnoppMyth installed, but would really be
> happier on SuSE, just because I know it (a little) and work
> with it on my day job. So before really getting KnoppMyth
> hooked up, I'm going to start trying to get MythTV and SuSE
> 9.1 Pro working.
>
> When I look at the MythTV.org documentation it appears
> oriented towards compiling from source. Realizing that
> whatever guide I use, I am going to have to extrapolate to
> SuSE, are there preferable HOWTO's that I should use as a
> general guide. For example would Jarod Wilson's Fedora
> FC1 HOWTO be more appropriate?
>
> My hardware is as follows:
> - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VAXP, with 512MB RAM
> - Processor: Athlon XP 2100
> - Video: NVideo MX440 with TV/OUT (TV chip is covered with
> foil, not sure which it is)
> - Tuner: AverMedia M179
> - Hard Drive: Western Digita 200GB

I have it working ok on SUSE 9.1, I say ok but it has to be the most stable
I've been able to get it. Not yet in place because it's still too noisy.
The easiest way I've found is to install apt4rpm and use it to install
Øystein's rpm's, although some of the dependencies may not be available via
apt they are easily found.
Give me a shout if you need any help with specifics.

Greg