[mythtv-users] New recordings option - off topic rant....

BP lists at qucae.com
Sat Jul 17 16:37:30 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> It's one of those things like "Don't start a new topic by replying to an
> existing one" or "Don't send HTML to the list." that folks should be
> aware of.

At least those first two items make sense as blanket rules.  Never top
posting is ridiculous.  Unless one is replying to specific points in a
bottom or inline post is to draw attention to what you are replying to.
  It's a reference mechanism.  I can't think of a single reason why you
should bottom post to an entire message.  Only to chopped up, relevant
pieces.  If you're reading messages in a threaded view (the reason for
the "don't start a new topic by replying to an existing one" rule),
insisting people scroll through what they just read 2 seconds ago is a
nuisance.  The first thing I do with most messages on this list is
immediately scroll to the bottom then scroll up to see where the new
message started.  I never re-read the quoted message.  Top posting is
much more user friendly in most cases.

Anyhow, sorry for getting off topic.  This oft raised issue just seems
to hit a bit of a nerve with me.  I know the list won't change, but what
the heck.