[mythtv-users] Okay, slow down, HDTV idiot here...

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sat Jul 17 13:30:26 EDT 2004

Doug Larrick wrote:

>>> Which will be required, by the broadcast flag rules, to be encrypted.
>>

>>     Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the
>> broadcast flag is a "voluntary" (until it's mandated) thing.  The
>> broadcast streams may have the broadcast flag set, but won't be
>> encrypted.  In fact, the demod cards now (e.g. pcHDTV) must *still
>> work*, so the stream can't be encrypted.
>

> The broadcast flag is just that -- a flag in the ATSC headers that
> indicates that this material was broadcast.  Older hardware is free to
> ignore the flag.  Newer hardware must take special care to make sure
> it doesn't leak to the internet.  It's cable TV that will have
> encrypted MPEG-TS.

My prediction?  It's going to come back and bite them in the ass,
they'll learn that broadcast flag = reduce ratings since not even an
HDTV VCR (if they ever make one) would be allowed to record it and while
not everyone uses a PVR a LOT of people use a VCR.

Of course this still doesn't plug the gaping along hole.  Create a
capture card with composite inputs and record off of your cable box...