[mythtv-users] Okay, slow down, HDTV idiot here...

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sat Jul 17 10:39:58 EDT 2004

Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>>> Or they'll provide a firewire output port like the FCC told them to...
>>

>> Which will be required, by the broadcast flag rules, to be encrypted.
>

>     Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the broadcast
> flag is a "voluntary" (until it's mandated) thing.  The broadcast
> streams may have the broadcast flag set, but won't be encrypted.  In
> fact, the demod cards now (e.g. pcHDTV) must *still work*, so the stream
> can't be encrypted.

The broadcast flag is just that -- a flag in the ATSC headers that
indicates that this material was broadcast.  Older hardware is free to
ignore the flag.  Newer hardware must take special care to make sure it
doesn't leak to the internet.  It's cable TV that will have encrypted
MPEG-TS.

>     So if one were to build a receiver under the new rules and have a
> firewire output port spewing demodulated MPEG-TS, it must also encrypt
> the stream?

That's correct.  Or downsample to no better than 480p.

>     If that's the case, then I'm sure it won't take too long to have
> "Billy-Bob's HDTV tuner with firewire output" product hacked to receive
> all again.

Another requirement is that the implementation be "robust" against
physical and software hacking -- e.g. (my interpretation) no socketed or
flashable firmware, no accessible bus ports, etc.  Each design must be
approved by FCC and MPAA.  This also seems to indicate that no PC-based
hardware could be good enough unless it does all processing inside a
single chip.  And of course any attempts to distribute software that
bypasses the encryption (no matter how lame)--or even just strip off the
broadcast flag--is prosecutable under DMCA.

I should point out that this is my interpretation of this fine state of
affairs, and I'm certainly not a lawyer.

-Doug