[mythtv-users] Okay, slow down, HDTV idiot here...

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sat Jul 17 09:32:11 EDT 2004

Dean Blackburn wrote:
> Actually, it's not a big deal for me anyway - hdtv has, as far as I can
> tell, no appreciable goodness for the average viewer (it's not picture
> quality, it's show quality I worry about... The stuff could be
> radioplays for all I care, so long as it's good), given all the
> additional expense. By the time it's the standard, and not an add-on
> service, no doubt all possible encryption, modulation, etc issues will
> be hacked to pieces anyway. ;)

Oh it will be interesting all right.  Either what you forsee will be
true, or those who attempted to make it happen will be in jail.
Remember that, since this is a US-based standard, there will be no
European hackers to help us out with a DeCSS-like tool.

If you have not read the broadcast flag decree or any analysis of it, I
encourage you to do so.  Then go out and buy all sorts of PC-based HDTV
hardware, even to just put into a closet: to do so after July 2005 will
become illegal, but existing hardware is grandfathered.

http://seclists.org/lists/politech/2003/Nov/0017.html
http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/

-Doug