[mythtv-users] Re: Any reason for PVR-350 over 250?/nvidia TV-out problems...

Darryl Okahata darrylo at soco.agilent.com
Fri Jul 16 15:25:50 EDT 2004

David Wood <obsidian at panix.com> wrote:

> Now, most people are like me, stuck with the
> interlace-deinterlace-reinterlace madness. We have hope, because there is
> a "right" way to deal with it. We just have to fix our software. We have
> to properly de-interlace the recorded TV signal, as cleanly as we can
> manage, before it is reinterlaced again.
>
> Our output will never be as good as the 350 (barring some harrowing
> advance in driver sophistication - if some other hardware can be made to
> do the same trick as the 350?). But, considering most of us are just using
> "standard" NTSC televisions, when we fix what's outrageously broken we can
> probably get the difference in quality down below what you can detect
> anyway.

     Depending on your hardware, the TV-out from an Nvidia card/PVR-250-
based system can be quite acceptable.  While it's not as good as the
350, the Nvidia TV-out looks " good enough" on my system (and I'm using
composite out -- NOT svideo).  You've definitely got to check the
"deinterlace" option, though.

[ I suspect that a good TV-out would also be "good enough" for many/most
  people, although obviously not everyone.  The artifacts/soft images
  seem to occur mainly with fast action/motion scenes, and will (for
  many/most people) probably be unnoticeable otherwise, except for some
  softness (which many people will probably get used to).  I should
  check this, but I'm guessing that the TV-out quality is still better
  than most VCR recordings.  I should also try using svideo, just to see
  if there's any significant difference over composite.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo at soco.agilent.com