[mythtv-users] New Computer Advice

Anthony Spinoza spinozacue at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 13:18:40 EDT 2004

--- john roberts <homepagez at lycos.com> wrote:

> Speaking of the pcHDTV card.  If you are thinking of
> using this card someday and watch OTA high-def -
> make sure you get something faster then a P4 3.0GHz
> processor.  My 2.6GHz is just enough (and that's
> only if I run with XvMC enabled).
>
> I'm in the market for a 3.2G processor so I can help
> smooth out some of the jitter with my 2.6G
> processor.  I wish I had known this when I bought my
> parts for mythtv. :)
>
> -John

 I think you might have something wrong with your
setup. I have a pcHDTV card running fine on an Athlon
XP 2000 with an FX5200 doing the XvMC on the latest
6106 driver. I only have one 1080i station (PBS) to
test on though. If I set the video mode to 1080i for
the Infocus X1 and let it do the scaling, it looks
great. XvMC and iDCT acceleration will only get better
supported as time goes on.

 I do notice that cpu usage goes up a lot, and the
system will skip at 1080i if I allow it to scale, even
with Xv. I must output 1080i or 540p to get it to not
skip. I'd be interested in your setup and experiences.

 I like the flexibility of software decoding, but I
can live with things like a black and white OSD for
now. Hi-Def specs are going to remain the same for
some time, nothing better then 1080p, while computing
power will just get cheaper, no reason to spend all
that money.

-vito

My Setup:
Athlon XP 2000 at 1.7Ghz