[mythtv-users] New Computer Advice

Darryl Okahata darrylo at soco.agilent.com
Fri Jul 16 00:47:10 EDT 2004

Russ <bigrig64 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have been Trying to learn what I can about MythTV and how to set it
> up. I am planning on getting a new computer while putting some older
> computers back in service as dedicated MythTV boxes. I would like some
> advice though. I will be using this new computer for everything (TV,
> maybe some gaming)

     All of your specs are overkill for a mythtv box (since you're using
a PVR-250/350).  You're therefore constrained by the other things that
you're going to be doing.  A mythtv box with a 250/350 can live with a
1GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a lower-end Nvidia card like an MX440.

> For the dedicated boxes I plan on getting 2 PVR 350. Both boxes are
> 1ghz, 512ram with on-board video and sound. Will that be a problem
> (these will be hooked to TV's only)?

     Nope, except that a 350 is currently hard-to-find, and your power
bill may be an issue if you live in an area with expensive electricity,
and you plan on leaving the boxes on 24x7.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo at soco.agilent.com