[mythtv-users] MythMusic -how do you organize your music?

BP lists at qucae.com
Thu Jul 15 23:33:37 EDT 2004

Cotter, Paul M. wrote:

> And I agree with Isaac - if you don't steal your music, the tags are
> usually spot on - I've never had a problem.
>
> Paul Cotter

Not from my experience.  I ripped approximately 500 CDs that I own.  I
found that CDDB has lots of inconsistencies.  For instance, some artists
that I own several CDs from, had a different artist name for each album.
  Some had a "the" inserted at the beginning or a ", the" at the end.
Others had things like "Liverpool, England" inserted to the artist for
one album, but not others.  Some had all the members of the band and the
copyright date appended to the artist name.  Add to this that the
sorting in Myth is case sensitive and I didn't rip/encode with a case
filter (again CDDB was not consistent).  Other problems also arise with
compilation albums such as soundtracks.  Do you want the artist tag
specified as the movie name, the actual artist name, or as "Various
Artists"?  I also had some mp3s I ripped six or seven years ago that the
CD is now too scratched to play.  I had no clue about tags back then.

After spending a couple weeks ripping all my CDs, I spent about five
weeks cleaning tags.  While doing that cleanup, the directory sort was
very valuable.  Then, I was only able to switch to tag sort by reworking
a patch (I submitted it, but not sure if it's in CVS or not) to rescan
all files and update the metadata as I didn't want to lose all the
ratings I had spent time doing.