[mythtv-users] Myth reports incorrect disk space usage?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 15 16:55:03 EDT 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 12:18, pete stagman wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 14:14, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> > > I know how du and df work, thanks.
> > >
> > > But these discepancies, especially on a small number of files, are not
> > > going to add up to 9 GB unless the poster is using a filesystem size of
> > > hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes, which is highly doubtful.
> >
> > A typical ext3 format (at least on Red Hat) reserves 5% of all space for
> > the root user. 9GB is roughly 5% of a 200GB drive. That's not hundreds
> > and hundreds of gigabytes.
>
> Ummmmm, sorry Jarod but 200GB IS hundreds of Gigabytes  :)

Like Michael said, yes, 200 is hundreds, or even hundred and hundred, but it
is *not* hundreds and hundreds. :-p

But I believe I now understand what Jason was trying to say (that it could
only be attributed to massive minimum block sizes on a multi-terabyte
volume). However, we now have the answer from Tim Tait.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...