[mythtv-users] Re: Custom Modeline

Chris Vargas ceenvee at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 16:37:53 EDT 2004

--- Cory wrote:
> You need to be careful on that. I'm assuming you're
> trying to drive an HDTV with the VGA directly
> (through an A960 YPbPr transcoder or something)?
> If so, then the 1080i *is* the spec, and will not
> like having more or less actual scanlines. You can
> adjust the *visible* lines (e.g. 1920x980i) but the
> number of total scanlines is limited by the spec.

Cory: your initial reply to John caught my eye,
because I'm in John's same boat. At first I thought
I'd be able to correct it given your great explanation
of modelines, but now I'm not so sure.

I have a 9A60 transcoder (thanks yet again, Jarod!),
and am trying to adjust the vertical dimension as
well. My 480p modeline plays back anamorphic DVDs
correctly, but my 540p and 1080i modelines (derived
via Powerstrip) are all stretched too far vertically,
so that an anamorphic test pattern displays circles as
ovals.

Wouldn't I need to add vertical lines to get this
compression? I tried using one of your examples to add
(say) 40 pixels vertically, but if it's not going to
work and blow up my TV, maybe not. Then again, it's 3
years old and doesn't do 720p, so maybe I should blow
it up...