[mythtv-users] Myth reports incorrect disk space usage?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 15 15:40:39 EDT 2004

pete stagman wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 14:14, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>>I know how du and df work, thanks.
>>>
>>>But these discepancies, especially on a small number of files, are not
>>>going to add up to 9 GB unless the poster is using a filesystem size of
>>>hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes, which is highly doubtful.
>>>

>>A typical ext3 format (at least on Red Hat) reserves 5% of all space for the
>>root user. 9GB is roughly 5% of a 200GB drive. That's not hundreds and
>>hundreds of gigabytes.
>>

>Ummmmm, sorry Jarod but 200GB IS hundreds of Gigabytes  :)

True, but assuming 200GB is the start of "hundreds" of gigabytes,
"hundreds and hundreds" would mean "200GB and 200GB," which means that
400GB is the start of "hundreds and hundreds" of gigabytes.  Therefore,
200GB is not "hundreds and hundreds" of gigabytes.

Of course, I'm not factoring in relativistic effects... ;)

Mike