[mythtv-users] MythMusic -how do you organize your music?

Devon Jones devon.jones at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 12:24:49 EDT 2004

> Sure, assuming that you are only accessing your data with that program.
>
> Organizing music in a directory hierarchy makes them far easier to manage in
> your file manager (for renaming, deleting, backing up, copying, etc), and far
> easier to work with between multiple applications with who-knows-what
> playlist format, since nearly any application supports "Load this directory".
>
> Personally I don't use tags at all. I name my files intelligently and store
> them inteligently., then run a script to strip all ID3 tags from the files so
> apps are forced to use the filename.
>
> Makes everything much more consistant.

ok, it may be easy, but your primary data store should be in the file.
 Hell, if you want it in hierarchical dirs, you can write a script
that automatically does that *based* off your good id3v2 data.

now, I can understand manipulating the file name because it's faster
then using a tagger....so here is what I have for you:

http://www.evilsoft.org/Software/dist/retag.tgz
this is a perl script, and requires
http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/D/DA/DAVECROSS/AudioFile-Info-MP3-Tag-1.02.tar.gz
to work.

it's easy to modify, but currently it will take a filename that has
the format of Artist-Album-[##]-Song title (subtitle).mp3 and it will
take all that information and put it into both id3v1 and id3v2 for
you.   the program should be easy to modify to handle different name
formats (or even directories).

(it does actually handle more information, such as delinitating
remixes, and tagging remixers, as well as doing live/bootleg and a few
other things, but the above format is easy, and gets you 90% of the
way)

now there is no excuse for not having the id3 data, even if you do
keep a it in a directory structure......

if you have any problems, let me know - I havn't run it in a few
years, but this is what I used to get my whole old collection tagged -
now all my music gets tagged immediatly when I rip it from the cd, so
I don't need it anymore.
Devon