[mythtv-users] Looking for a Media PC system

Russ bigrig64 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 13 21:31:20 EDT 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>> Mandrake installed but was seriously broken.
>

> I like to refer to Mandrake as Red Hat's red-headed step-child...

I knew Mandrake was a spin off of Red Hat, which always surprised me
that it would work and not RH.

>> If I wanted to pipe it to my TV then I would need to get a video card
>> with tv out?
>

> Yes, or an adapter of some sort.

Could you be a bit more specific about these adapters? The PVR-350 has
tv out, would that work for both?

>> Also, I have 3 older computers laying around (1 AMD 450 and 2 AMD
>> 1ghz). Would these be big enough to work for Myth TV dedicated boxes?
>

> The 450 is probably a tad slow to be of much use (except possibly as a
> dedicated backend). The 1GHz machines should be solid enough though. I
> get perfect playback on an 800MHz Athlon with a GF4MX.

OK, I keep hearing the terms 'backend' 'frontend', what exactly do they
mean?

Thanks for all your help
Russ