[mythtv-users] avidemux2 command line? nuv -->> DVD

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Jul 13 14:51:27 EDT 2004

 	Sure, but some comments are in order.  Here's the (extremely ugly)
script that probably got line-wrapped in the paste:

#!/bin/sh
set -x

FILTFILE=filters
#FILTFILE=filters_resize
#VIDCONF="2pass=9"
#VIDCONF="2pass=329"
VIDCONF="2pass=658"
#VIDCONF="2pass=987"
#VIDCONF="2pass=1316"
#VIDCONF="cbr=2000"
#VIDCONF="cq=2"

#VIDOPTS="--filters $FILTFILE --video-process --halfd1-res --video-codec DVD
--video-conf cbr=2000"
#VIDOPTS="--filters $FILTFILE --video-process --halfd1-res --video-codec DVD
--video-conf cbr=2000"
VIDOPTS="--filters $FILTFILE --video-process --halfd1-res --video-codec DVD
--video-conf $VIDCONF"
#VIDOPTS="--filters $FILTFILE --video-process --video-codec DVD --video-conf
$VIDCONF"

#for i in *.edl; do
for i in $*; do
  base=`echo $i | sed -e 's/^\(.*\).edl/\1/g'`

  if [ ! -s $base.m2v ] ; then
   echo "Processing $i"
#  avidemux2 --load-workbench $i --audio-process --save $base.m2a --quit
#  avidemux2 --load-workbench $i --save-raw-audio $base.m2a --save $base.m2v
--quit &> /dev/null
#  avidemux2 --load $i $VIDOPTS --save $base.m2v --quit
   avidemux2 --load $i $VIDOPTS --save-raw-audio $base.m2a --save $base.m2v
--quit
  else
   echo "Already have $base.m2v"
  fi

  if [ ! -s $base.mpg ] ; then
   echo "Muxing $base.mpg"
#  avidemux2 --load-workbench $i --audio-process --save $base.m2a --quit
#  avidemux2 --load-workbench $i --save-raw-audio $base.m2a --save $base.m2v
--quit &> /dev/null
   mplex -O 3003mpt -o $base.mpg -f 8 $base.m2v $base.m2a
  else
   echo "Already have $base.mpg"
  fi

done

I load up the raw .nuv in avidemux2, find and editlist out the commercials, and
use a 'DVD' style codec.  I save the edit list as 'Whatever_Name.edl' The
'filters' file contains an avidemux-generated xml file with the options that I
use for all of the dvd parts I create and has the contents:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<filters FilterNumber="1">
   <Filter Tag="39" Conf=" MPlayer HQ Denoise 3D (4.0 - 3.0 - 6.0)'">
     <Parameters Number="3">
       <param1>4.000000</param1>
       <param2>3.000000</param2>
       <param3>6.000000</param3>
     </Parameters>
   </Filter>
</filters>

I don't deinterlace, since it's going on a DVD for playing anyway.  A few other
notes are:

I try to fit video and audio for a 1 hour (43 minute w/o commercials) show in
700 MB at 352x480.  That amounts to about 2.2 Mb/s combined video and audio
(128 kbps mp2 audio).  It's a fairly low bitrate, but it's better than VHS, and
it'll fit 6 shows on a DVD.  Also, since the video compatible witn a single
CVD, I could make single show disks on CD later without reencoding.  I've got a
number of (seldom-used) options commented out in the file too, of course.

 	All this uses avidemux2, which I believe is just a gui-overlaid and
enhanced avidemux.  Many of the command line options I think are throwbacks to
the orginal program.  I also get the 66ms (sometimes 33ms), but I'm not sure if
avidemux2 takes them out or not.  mplex seems to recognise that it's there, so
I try to remove it with the -O 3003mpt (=33ms).  It's small enough that I'm
never sure if it's right or not... except when mplex's bug manifests itself
with a 15 minute sync error.

 	Hope that helps some folks... I spent way too much time making all this
slightly broken crap go.  I've actually cued up a bunch of processed, muxed,
.mpg files to author to DVD that I haven't burned yet.  Although I managed to
make one with menues, it was very painful.  I'm hoping some better frontends to
dvdauthor will show up in a few months.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*