[mythtv-users] Looking for a Media PC system

Russ bigrig64 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 12 23:52:48 EDT 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>On Sunday 11 July 2004 10:35, Greg wrote:
>

>>>I notice in the HOW-TO's that my distro of choice (SuSE) is
>>>not covered
>>>(bummer). I did start out with Mandrake but the latest
>>>version I tried
>>>(9.0) was broken and I couldn't get it working. I never have
>>>gotten Red
>>>Hat/Fedora to work (ever).
>>>

>Then you either did something wrong, or you have a hardware problem...

My very first attempt at Linux (however many years ago) was with Red Hat
6.0. Didn't work. Couldn't get it running at all. Tried again with
Mandrake 5.3. It worked and I played awhile then went back to Win98
(primarily because some software I was using had no Linux equivalent). I
then tried Mandrake 6 and used it even longer, but alas, I fell off the
wagon again. I then bought this new computer (making sure that it was
Linux compatible) and bought a 4 distro set (Fedora 1.0/Mandrake
9.2/SuSE 9.0/Knoppix Live CD). Fedora stalled on install (Like it's
predecessor Red Hat). Mandrake installed but was seriously broken. At
this point I was about to give it up. However, I decided to give SuSE a
chance (since it came with the set, other than that I never had a desire
to try it). It installed without a hitch. Everything worked out of the
box (except sound and that was a minor setting problem - stupid thing
was defaulted to mute - go figure). Even though I set it up with a dual
boot to WinXP, I never use XP. SuSE was never on my list of distros to
try and it is the best one I've found yet (My personal opinion).

>>>SuSE 9.0 worked out of the box with very
>>>little tweaking (sound was a small issue).
>>>

>>Rpm's for SUSE 9 & 9.1 can be found here:
>>http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio/apt/suse/

Oh yeeeees :-)

>>Kindly provided by Øystein Olsen......bloody nice bloke :)
>>

>...But if SuSE works now, definitely go for those rpms. The biggest gotcha on
>SuSE is the need for a custom Qt (also provided there), since the one
>distributed by SuSE is broken.
>
>(Currently typing this email on my SuSE 9.1 Pro workstation ;-)

9.0 but loving it :-)

OK, This may be a stupid question, buuut ...

In order to get this comp to play tv on this monitor, I would need a tv
tuner card (PVP 250/350). Then it would be routed through my video card
to my monitor (3.0ghz, 80gig HD, 128 GeForce video card, onboard sound
that works), is this correct?

If I wanted to pipe it to my TV then I would need to get a video card
with tv out?

Also, I have 3 older computers laying around (1 AMD 450 and 2 AMD 1ghz).
Would these be big enough to work for Myth TV dedicated boxes?

Thanks
Russ