[mythtv-users] Displaying 4:3 content on a 16:9 TV - black bo rders

Buechler, Mark R Mark_R_Buechler at bausch.com
Sat Jul 10 13:08:40 EDT 2004

Projectors are easier to burn than standard monitors due to their
high-output nature. All CRT-based displays have phosphors which in time will
fade. The 4:3 image on a 16:9 display will produce this fading much quicker
than the black bars on the sides. By having dark gray bars instead this
fading is more even over time and less noticeable. This fading also happens
much faster on higher-output CRTs (used in projectors) than with standard
direct-view CRT displays.