[mythtv-users] CPU power for digital tuners

Dylan Egan dylan.egan at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 9 20:01:14 EDT 2004

Jon Whitear wrote:

>>>I currently just record normal SDTV, if I were to start HDTV what
>>>should I be looking at?
>>>

>>Just a note on the three cards, I assume you're talking about PVR
>>(hardware mpeg encoders) style of cards?
>>

>I take it you mean DVB cards - you might want to check out the mailing
>list at linuxtv.org for any issues running multiple cards in one
>machine. On the whole, it seems it's not a problem.

I am currently using one VP card, but now that there are DVICO drivers I
might try one or two of those cards.

>CPU power isn't going to be an issue for a backend only box. I have one
>DVB-T in my P3 500, and that uses about 6% CPU while recording.

Yeh im running it on a 2000+ XP.

> On the other hand, general throughput (e.g. PCI bus, HDD) might become a
>problem. Here in Oz, SD broadcasts are about 6Mbit/s, and I think HD are
>10-12. If you've got a few cards recording HDTV at the same time, you'll
>want to make sure you've got a pretty quick disk subsystem.

Hrmph yeh I didnt really consider that. Im using that machine as a file
server too, it used to be a mail/web server too, but I moved that to
another machine. Maybe I can have 2 machines splitting 4 cards or so, so
2 in each. Im running 1 SATA drive at the moment.

Dylan.