[mythtv-users] knoppmyth console window "vertical hold" trouble

Matt Morgan matt at jiffycomp.com
Fri Jul 9 16:58:47 EDT 2004

After struggling a little bit with a Mandrake MythTV install, I decided to
give knoppmyth a go and found it much easier. I guess that's the idea :-).

Seems to have installed OK but I can't really get it to do anything but show
me the weather (which is pretty cool all by itself!). Maybe I just don't
know what I'm doing, though.

My setup: Knoppmyth installed as front and backend; NVIDIA GeForce2 MX440 w/
TV-out, Hauppauge PVR250. I installed the "nvidia" driver via the
install-nvidia.sh script and that went well.

Some things that clearly are not right, that I'd love some help on, follow:

1) "Fullscreen" is not quite full screen; there's a black border of
noticeable size on all four sides. Anything I can do about that? My TV is an
older Sony Trinitron, maybe 10 years old. When it displays regular TV there
is no border.

2) The picture is not rectangular. The sides are wiggly and tilted in toward
the top. The top and bottom edges are pretty straight, though.

3) The MythTV screen looks great but all the text screens (ctrl-alt-f1,
ctrl-alt-f2, ...) display with a vertical-hold-like problem. Reminds me of
the black-and-white TV I had growing up, except in this case it flips by at
a slight diagonal, not straight up, and there's no little knob I can use to
fix it.

4) No program data. I signed up for a Zap2It.com DataDirect account, but
nothing about the KnoppMyth setup asked me for that info. How do I do set
that up?

5) When I go to watch LiveTV, I get a message that all of mythtv's inputs
are being used. It suggests I go to "schedule a recording" to set up a
recording to watch. So I tried it but there was nothing in the program guide
(see #4, above) and the page to set up a recording wouldn't let me set the
"channel" field to anything. What do I need to do here?

And a questions about something I only assume is not working yet:

6) Knoppmyth got lirc working right at least part way; my Hauppauge remote
seems to function OK (still getting used to it). What about my Actisys IR
blaster, for changing channels on my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200? Do I
have to run through this HOW-TO:

http://members.cox.net/rwraithr/IRBlaster_Howto.txt

Or does Knoppmyth do that for me? It didn't seem to, although I don't know,
since I haven't been able to get to anywhere I can change channels in the
first place.

THANKS!!!