[mythtv-users] IVTV and Gentoo

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Jul 9 14:40:01 EDT 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 11:21, Mark Cooper wrote:
> Harlan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >   I've been trying to get IVTV working with Gentoo.  I followed the
> > instructions in the Wiki:
> >   - I emerged gentoo-sources which gave me:  linux-2.4.26-gentoo-r3
> >   - I followed the kernel configuration instructions.  I did the kernel
> > configs in order.  I ran into problems when I tried to configure
> > "Character devices: I2C support: I2C mainboard interfaces: y".  This
> > never comes up as an option for me.
> >
> >   What am I missing????!!!!!
> >
> > I have previously tried to follow Jarod's guide, without any success.  I
> > get to the point of loading the module "modprobe ivtv" and the entire
> > system hangs - doesn't crash, just hangs.  I have to press the reset, or
> > power off the system, to get everything working again.
> >
> > I really would appreciate some help, other than "use a different
> > distribution".
> >
> > Thanks for your time and attention,
> >
> > Harlan...
>
> Noooo, don't be thinking of another distribution! Gentoo Rules!! ;)
>
> Have you seen the excellent Gentoo MythTV guide at
> http://wopr.yi.org/mythtv.html ? It covers the kernel config options in
> detail :)

I'm thinking choice of distribution probably isn't the problem here. There's
quite a large community of people using ivtv with Fedora Core and no
problems, so I'm more inclined to think the problem is hardware-related. I
believe probably 99% of people who've followed my docs to the letter have
wound up with a fully working system. Could also be operator error. ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...