[mythtv-users] only root can pause live tv

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Jul 8 17:41:47 EDT 2004

Jason Kraftcheck wrote:

>I've encountered a strange error I'd really appreciate some help with.
>I did most of the configuration of a new myth box as root, and then as
>one of the final steps in setting up the box, I changed mythfrontend to
>a) start automatically and b) run as the user 'mythtv' rather than root.
> Everything works fine, except I cannot pause live TV.  If I change back
>to running as root, it works fine.  If it is run as the 'mythtv' user,
>live TV playback is fine, but trying to pause it results in a quick
>play->pause->play transistion in the little status overlay in the
>upper-right, but no visible change in the TV playback.  Any suggestions?
>
>thanks much,
>
>-- jason kraftcheck

Sounds like the permissions on your live tv folder are set too
restrictive.  Check where that is located in mythtvsetup (I think) and
then check the permissions on the directory.  If you're not familiar
with UNIX permissions, something like:

chown mythtv /some/directory

will change the ownership of /some/directory to the mythtv user

chgrp mythtv /some/directory

will change the group ownership of /some/directory to the mythtv group
(if you have one)

Probably the first will be enough for what you are looking for.

Kevin