[mythtv-users] Help Needed - lircd crashes with mceusb

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Thu Jul 8 15:59:22 EDT 2004

Mitko Haralanov wrote:

>	Hi, tonight I attempted to upgrade my mythtv box to the latest nvidia
>drivers. That meant that I had to upgrade to kernel-2.4.22-1.2197. That
>went all fine, however, ever since I can't get lircd to work.
>
>Every time I try to access /dev/lirc, I get:
>
>Jul  7 21:20:09 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
>Jul  7 21:20:09 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: could not open /dev/lirc
>Jul  7 21:20:09 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: default_init(): No such device
>Jul  7 21:20:09 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: caught signal
>
>I found one thread that suggests that I should be using lirc-0.70pre4.
>However, you can see from the message above that that is what I am
>using.
>
>I have tried playing with my modules.conf. Originally (when it worked
>with the old kernel), it was as follows:
>
>alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
>add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c
>
>That did not work with the new kernel/driver. I also tried:
>
>alias char-major-61 lirc_mceusb
>add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_mceusb
>
>and that did not work either. When the lirc_mceusb module loads, I get
>the following:
>
>Jul  7 21:13:44 mythtv lircd 0.7.0pre4[2061]: lircd(any) ready
>Jul  7 21:13:44 mythtv lircd: lircd startup succeeded
>Jul  7 21:15:20 mythtv kernel: usb.c: deregistering driver ir_transceiver
>Jul  7 21:15:51 mythtv kernel: usb.c: registered new driver ir_transceiver
>Jul  7 21:15:51 mythtv kernel: lirc_mceusb.c: USB Microsoft IR Transceiver Driver v0.2
>
>I have run out of idea!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LIRC has to be either built with, or configured to, a specific hardware
IR strategy involved.  These hardware devices may be various types of IR
controllers (such as found on the BTTV & PVR cards), or they can be
devices such as the IRman (www.evation.com).  Each hardware device may
have unique ways of being spoken to, for example the IRman is an RS232
(serial port) device, while the BTTV & PVR devices are SIR devices.  You
*need* to either configure your /etc/lircd.conf file correctly, so that
when lircd runs it will know how to get data from your IR receiver,
-OR-, you do like I did: uninstall all LIRC rpms (urpme lirc), grab the
lirc-0.6.6 source and build lirc from source.

During the build process, you will be questioned as to your IR hardware...

Note, you are at your own risk of failure if you use a distro kernel
(e.g. the one that came on the CDROM or from the vendors website), most
of these kernels are "super duper, add in everything that we can find"
type kernels.  I would strongly urge you to get a plain-vanilla kernel
source from www.kernel.org and build your own.  You may not have to, but
then, I have a lot of years of running linux and just roll with the
punches anymore..

Regards,

TomW