[mythtv-users] Fedora 2, Failed to Allocate Memory Error

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 8 03:01:42 EDT 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 20:11, Joshua Schramm wrote:

> Im trying to set up Myth on a machine running Fedora 2 using Jarods
> guide as much as possible and using bleeding sources, testing sources,
> etc.
>
> Anyway ive gotten to the point where im configuring Video Capturing
> and the modprobe.conf file which differs from the guide.

You need to let us know what video capture card we're talking about...
Ah, looks like a PVR-x50 card, from your ivtvctl stuff below.

> As mentioned in the archives the add line in jarods guide now throws
> an error and there is no more path line.

I must have missed something, or I'm not thinking clearly... What add
line?

> First question did anyone find out what you have to do to replace
> this? I found a guide that mentioned modprobing a bunch of stuff by
> using a script and i did that and put the script in /etc/init.d/ but i
> dont think it ran. I gave it execute permissions and changed ownership
> to root. This is probably a linux issue more than a myth issue and im
> probably missing something simple.

Simply putting an executable in /etc/init.d/ doesn't make it load on
startup. You need a symlink to it in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/ (assuming you're
booting into run-level 5) of the form S99startupscript, or something
like that. The S is for "run this on startup", the 99 is for ordering
(all S scripts are run in number order) and the startupscript name
really doesn't matter, but standard convention is to make it match the
name of the init script in /etc/init.d/.

> Next when i run those modprobes manually i still get an error to the
> effect of
>
> Failed to open /dev/video0: Cannot allocate memory
>
> This happens when i try and do a cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/sample.mpg or
> when i try and run ivtvctl -p 0
>
> Has anyone seen this?

Nope, no clue what's going on there. I haven't even tried an FC2
machine with an ivtv card yet...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com