[mythtv-users] Re: EFF calls for developers for MythTV

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jul 7 22:06:34 EDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Francois Gouget wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> > >Neither option is really satisfying ans intuitive. Ideally the [<]/[>]
> > >keys would behave like Vol-/Vol+ when watching a show and like the
> > >left/right arrows everywhere else. But that would require a
> > >context-sensitive mapping.
> > >
> > Which Myth has.  Though I don't think it'd help in this case.
>
> How does one tweak this mapping?

Found it. It's in MythWeb.
And it does help. What I've done is the following:

 * edited ~/.mythtv/lircrc and mapped Vol-/Vol+ to % and ^ respectively.
I checked in MythWeb and these characters are not used anywhere else so
I know this wont interfer.

 * went in MythWeb and edited the following mappings:
   Global / LEFT            ->  Left,%
   Global / RIGHT           ->  Right,^
   TV Playback / VOLUMEDOWN -> [,{,F10,%
   TV Playback / VOLUMEUP   -> ],},F11,^
   Video / INCPARENT        -> Right,^
   Video / DECPARENT        -> Left,%

The key mappings in 'TV Playback' override those in 'Global' so when I'm
watching TV Vol-/Vol+ changes the volume and when I'm in te MythTV GUI
it behaves like Left/Right.

I have also found some errors in MythTV's sample lircrc file for the
Hauppage remote. For instance it has an entry for the 'FFW' button but
that button is actually called 'Forward' (and similarly for 'Rew' and
'Rewind'). Maybe this is something that changed in lirc and MythTV needs
to be updated...

                            -- from some indian guy