[mythtv-users] Typical recording profiles survey

John OKeefe john at terminalreality.com
Wed Jul 7 11:37:58 EDT 2004

I was just curious what settings other people typically use for their
Default, LiveTV, High Quality, and Low Quality recording profiles as well as
their file usage with each of those settings i.e. low quality = 1GB an hour.
Here is what I am currently using:

System:
PVR-250 capture card
NTSC T.V. (not a HDTV)

Resolution:	720 x 480
Codec:	MPEG-2 PS
Bit-rate:	16000
Max-bit:	16000
Audio Codec:Mp3
Sound rate:	38,000 hz
mb/hour:	3,000 or 3GB/hour

LiveTV
Resolution:	720 x 480
Codec:	MPEG-2 PS
Bit-rate:	16000
Max-bit:	16000
Audio Codec:Mp3
Sound rate:	38,000 hz
mb/hour:	3,000 or 3GB/hour

HighQuality
Resolution:	720 x 480
Codec:	MPEG-2 PS
Bit-rate:	16000
Max-bit:	16000
Audio Codec:Mp3
Sound rate:	38,000 hz
mb/hour:	3,000 or 3GB/hour

Low Quality
Resolution:	480 x 480
Codec:	MPEG-2 PS
Bit-rate:	4000
Max-bit:	6000
Audio Codec:Mp3
Sound rate:	38,000 hz
mb/hour:	Unknown, I haven't recorded in this mode yet.

I think I am going way overkill on the bit rate and probably resolution. I
like to watch Formula 1 and racing so for those shows I probably need a high
bit rate to keep the motion smooth right?

- John