[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashing - solved

rick schultz rick.schultz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 03:56:15 EDT 2004

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:21:15 -0400, Alexander Varakin
<avarakin at optonline.net> wrote:
> The culprit was ntpd : it was adjusting time about 10 minutes after the
> PC was up, causing backend to crash.
> It seems like this problem is specific to MPEG4 encoder.

Does running ntpd with the `-x' option (always slew, never skip) fix
the problem?  If you haven't tried, do the crashes consistently line
up with ntp messages in the logs about "time reset" ?

I'm just curious.  I've seen the occasional (< 1/week) backend crash,
and I am using the MPEG4 encoder and running ntp.  I'll try the -x
myself, but I won't know if it helps for a while.  I'd rather not
disable ntp; seems like this type of application demands it.

-rick