[mythtv-users] Suggestions for Updates to Jarods Guide

Graham W. Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Mon Jul 5 20:50:30 EDT 2004

Well, I've had another couple of WD200Gb disks fail, so it's back to
Jarods guide and a reinstall...:-)

*       rpm -Uvh
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/atrpms-kickstart/atrpms-kickstart-20-1.rhfc1.
at.i386.rpm

Now up to rpm -Uvh
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/atrpms-kickstart/atrpms-kickstart-23-1.rhfc1.
at.i386.rpm

You may want to add something to the effect that if you're behind a non
transparent web proxy you're going to have some issues..... I recently
installed smoothwall as my firewall, and turned on squid in non
transparent mode, and apt-get failed until I remembered.

*      you may have to comment out apt.kde-redhat.org and
kde-redhat.atrpms.net in /etc/apt/sources.list

It may be worth moving this above the

*       apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

section, so it's more obvious that it should be done before the
dist-upgrade.

You should also add to do an apt-get install apt before editing the line
(remembering to rpm -e yum before doing that), as the sources.list won't
be updated until that point (and you obviously can't comment out what's
not there).

And at this point, it's too late to do a reinstall of FC1, so I am
heading to bed.. *cough*

Next day...

OK... One FC1 install later.. remembering to apt-get update, and edit
out the kde-redhat.org.. :-)

It might be worth adding to section 3 Initial Software, that if you're
planning to use samba, to select the Windows Server as part of the
installation. Also, if you're planning to connect to a Windows domain,
to select the krb5-server utilities (you will also need to add the
krb5-workstation utilities manually later (I can't see a way to install
them at initial install time)).

Section 7.. The custom kernel is now updated of course..

apt-get install kernel#2.4.22-1.2194.nptl_50.rhfc1.at
kernel-source#2.4.22-1.2194.nptl_50.rhfc1.at

Section 11..

/bin/dmesg |grep ivtv

You should add a note that if you have multiple cards, you will see
multiple sets of this

ivtv: Found an iTVC15 based chip

ivtv: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)

saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 (0x10005)

ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02040011

ivtv: Decoder revision: 0x02020023

ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0   <---This is the entry for the
first card

ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 32

ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 224

ivtv: Found an iTVC16 based chip

ivtv: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)

saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c driver #1 (0x10005)

ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02040011

ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 1   <---This is the entry for the
second card

ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 33

ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 225

ivtv: loaded

When you get to the section for doing the test_ioctls

 /usr/bin/test_ioctl -u 0x3000

Should become

/usr/bin/test_ioctl --device /dev/video0 -u 0x3000

And that if you have 2 video cards, you should do this for both cards,
using the minor numbers reported from the dmesg section previously
(incase the cards aren't 0 and 1).

And

cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg

needs to be done for every minor number too

Section 13

mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.14/database/mc.sql

needs to become

mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.15.1/database/mc.sql

On a related, but somewhat off topic note, can someone point me towards
some docs for FC1 on how to set it up automatically with no user
intervention using a PXE boot?