[mythtv-users] Yet another noobie sanity check ;-)

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 07:42:24 EDT 2004

At 03:08 05/07/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Stephen Tait wrote:
>

>> > Case Asus Aria
>>

>>  Personally, I'd go for a different case. I expect there's a lot of
>>  people here who have and like this case, but the reviews I have read
>>  say the case gets uncomfortably hot. Plus it has one of the dreaded
>>  proprietary PSU's which cost an utter fortune to replace. You can get
>>  much roomier (although unfortunately bigger) mATX cases that accept
>>  normal ATX PSU's. If size isn't an issue, you're OK. Be warned that
>>  the PVR cards kick out *alot* of heat.
>
>I really like the ATC-610 case.  In my entertainment center, it looks like
>a standard piece of stereo equipment.  I can't find the atc-610 for sale
>anymore, but they do have the 620
>(http://www.directron.com/atc620.html).  Only diff is the 620 is a steel
>case (and about $30 cheaper), and the 610 is aluminium.

I have to second this. I have a 620 (the "cheap" steel/alu hybrid) and it's
an amazing case for HTPC if you can handle the size. Surprisingly quiet,
surprisingly good ventilation, and surprisingly cheap compared to the other
HTPC cases I looked at. You also don't need to fork out extra for
black/silver/whatever drives or bezels, as the slots are covered by nifty
friction-release doors. I too was so annoyed I wasn't able to purchase
another one for my second Myth box (and am still looking for a nice but
reasonably priced case).

Regrettably, CoolerMaster and my old stanchion Lian Li all seem to be going
down the "lowest common denominator" route and building cases with all
kinds of ugly protrusions where before there was sleek minimalism. When I
was young, this was all fields! 40 hours a day! In the rain!

*frantically buys up stock of the PC-71's which'd make a good HTPC case for
an ogre*

>The one thing I do not like about the case is you can't get to both sides
>of your add-on's to screw them down tightly.  This really only matters if
>you put in a lcd display w/ buttons on it.

I suppose this is true (don't have an LCD, it'd detract from the nice lines
of the case :) but I'm sure your average Myth user will be well versed with
gaffer tape...! The spring clip thing does hold things like HD's and
optical drives in very well, with no vibration.

(In case you're wondering, he means the expansion bays at the front, not
PCI cards - and be warned, extra-huge PCI cards won't fit as the top of the
case comes down right on top of the PCI brackets). Very good review from
mad-as-a-hatter Dan here: http://www.dansdata.com/atc620.htm

If you can find one going cheap on eBay or something, get it. They're a steal.

>--
>Pinky, Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
>
>I think so, Brain, but where are we going to get latex gloves, a swimming
>pool filled with vaseline and a herd of yaks at THIS time of night?

Another voter in the /. poll, eh? But me and Pippi Longstocking, I mean,
what would the children look like?!