[mythtv-users] Yet another noobie sanity check ;-)

David myth at dgreaves.com
Mon Jul 5 06:08:32 EDT 2004

Brad wrote:

> I've been watching this list for a couple months now and have waded
> through the messages more times than I care to admit, but being a
> complete noob to all this I'm forced to ask for the lists guidance
> with my hardware purchase. I know, I know... I've seen the countless
> other similar requests, but naturally, they don't cover my intended
> combinations. Its a lot of money, and hopefully someone with more
> knowledge can confirm I'm not throwing it out the window.
>
> This is intended to be a combined front/backend. Mostly for TV
> recording and playback (via s-video and tv-out), storage, playing and
> ripping of DIVX and MPG4 movies, DVDs, also a music server for all my
> CDs (I plan to rip them all eventually). I also want to have it act as
> a file server for my Mac

ah, _that's_ why you're short of cash ;)

> , probably via SMB, but I can work that out later. Its, hopefully,
> going to be in my living room - so it needs to be quiet. I want to be
> able to add more video capture cards in the future and possibly a
> separate myth frontend for the bedroom.
>
> Case        Asus Aria

Lovely case (Antec? Aria)
looks small - I'd worry about heat.

> 2) is there any point in a writeable DVD drive? Form what I can tell,
> Myth doesn't support writing dvds yet, if its even possible from Linux.

Mine get very hot.
And if you're doing video editing etc you need a full desktop install -
yes it's possible - I've written all my Farscapes to DVD's with menus,
nice covers etc.
I'd install a DVD ROM instead and put a writer in a remote machine that
you can sit down at and edit.
(You could always use network block device support to make the writer
appear local in the future - I'm playing with this now and it seems OK)

> 3) can someone suggest a quiet cpu cooler that fits in this case?

SilentBoost

> 4) can I really get away with 256Mb Ram? I'm trying to keep the costs
> down (its already more than I was prepared to spend)

probably if you only run Myth and don't use it as a desktop - prepare to
upgrade later when you run a second backend.

> 5) how much space is needed for the system? I'm hoping to install a
> small HD with just the system on it. I have a few *old* drives, maybe
> 1.6G - 3G lying around... is that enough? I'm probably dreaming, but
> I'd like not to have to buy a 40G just for the system.

Don't use a second HD for the system - too much heat (and old drives are
noisy too). HDs generate a ton of it!
Also don't use a 7200rpm disk for the main drive if poss - they run hot too.
If possible get a Maxtor Maxline II 5400rpm 300Gb (less cache, slower
but more than adequate for a PVR)
The extra space is useful and use a 5G partition for the sytem.

David