[mythtv-users] Multiple Frontends / Backends

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Jul 1 10:35:32 EDT 2004

John Goerzen wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 11:22:48PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
>

>>In testing out this configuration, I found it's pretty easy to be able
>>to watch recorded programs.  However, I can't seem to be able to watch
>>live TV no matter what; it says all inputs are in use.  Also, the
>>program guide data is blank (it says I should run mythfilldatabase, but
>>that's already being run on the master server and works there; why
>>should I run it here?)
>>

>I figured out the problem here.  Somehow, when I reran mythtv-setup on
>the master server to change the IP from 127.0.0.1 to its real IP, it
>blew away all my input and lineup settings.  Fixed that and could then
>watch it.
>
>But I'm still unsure about scenario 2 below -- also, which hard drive
>would things be stored on: the master server or the slave server?

Depends on where you configure that backend to store things.  To be clear:

mythbackend: handles capture cards.  The master does more work to keep
the slaves in order.
mythfrontend: does the viewing and hosts the other mythtv modules like
MythMusic

Each backend has a configuration screen that says where to place
recordings.  If you specify this to be a local folder to the backend,
the files will be on the slave backend.  If you NFS/samba mount a
directory from another server, the files will physically exist on that
server.  Since MythTV streams the files when it needs to, it doesn't
matter physically where the files are as long as some backend has access
to them.   I think most people tend to keep their files all in one place
to make it easier and also take advantage of disk arrays like RAID 5 or
LVM when needed to manage multiple hard disks.

Some people use dedicated machines for database server and another for a
file server.  MythTV is very flexible that way and is so because of
MySQL and NFS/samba working over a network.

Just remember that a computer that runs mythbackend is a backend machine
and manages capture cards and a computer that runs mythfrontend is a
display machine that drives a TV.  You can have these two running on one
machine or different machines and have multiple of both.

HTH,
Kevin