[mythtv-users] nuvexport to mono

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Jul 1 08:58:03 EDT 2004

At 14:25 01/07/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:51:02 +0200, Niklas Brunlid <nbr at ticalc.org> wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to get nuvexport to export mono sound, either to save space or
>>for channels that broadcast in mono. The problem is that simply passing
>>"-ac 1" to ffmpeg doesn't work properly - it slows down encoding to a
>>crawl (as in, the cpu sits at 85-90% idle even though ffmpeg should be
>>grabbing all the cpu it can get). The settings I'm trying to use are
>>48KHz/48kbps.
>>
>>Is ffmpeg:s stereo->mono conversion really that crappy? :)  Does it even
>>support it? Should I simply give up and use the xvid script instead?
>
>Just bumping this a bit. Surely someone must export video to mono somehow?
>=)

Kinda offtopic I'm afraid, and it doesn't really help you, but I decided
nuvexport wasn't flexible enough for my needs (although I haven't
experimented with it enough to give a qualified opinion) and decided to use
trusty old mencoder instead (although, again, never tried to do mono with
it, but I imagine downsampling stereo to mono is well within it's grasp)

As another aside, I'm busy learning PHP at the moment (two days into it and
it's wicked fun) and am considering writing an add-on for MythWeb that'll
allow you to call and configure mencoder to do transcodes once I'm good
enough; the companies workflow management system has gotta come first though.

(P.S. if anyone thinks this is a good/stupid idea, say so!)