[mythtv-users] PVR-350 - PAL-I Variant, for use in Ireland?

Steve Dwyer stevedwyer at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 31 18:49:47 EST 2004

> Hi All,
> First post from a MythTV newbie, so go easy on me. :)
> I've just bought a Hauppauge PVR-350, with the intention of
> bulding a Myth-based PVR.  But it looks like I may have made
> a really dumb mistake, and bought the wrong version...
> I live in Dublin, Ireland, and I want to use the card with
> the local NTL cable service.  I bought the card over the web
> from a company in Germany.  At the time, I thoght that was a
> reasonable thing to do, since Germany and Ireland both use PAL,
> right?
> Well, now I can't get the card to work.  As I installed it,
> I noticed that the card has a label on it that says:
>    "PAL-B/G  48134  Rev J347"
> I think that "PAL-B/G" is the problem - it's PAL-I that we use
> in Ireland, it seems - at least according to this list of
> broadcast standards by country:
>   http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/WorldVideo.html
> (Wish I'd seen that *before* I bought the card.)
> I tried installing the card anyway, and installed the Windows
> software under Windows98 (It's a dual-boot setup, with Win98SE
> and RedHat 9 at the moment.)  The Windows channel-scanning
> application found 15 channels on my NTL Cable connection, which
> is correct - but when I try to view  them, all I get is
> a black screen.
> So far, I haven't started installing the ivtv driver or any
> other Linux software.  But when I run "lspci", the output now
> includes this, all on one line:
> 00:0e.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc
>    iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder (rev01)
> So, I've got lots of questions:
>    Am I right in thinking that this card is a version
>    that works in Germany, but not in Ireland?

Yeah, The Tuner is Country Specific. If only everywhere would use the same
then we would be able to get the PVR-350 much cheaper shipped from the USA!!

>    Is it possible that there's something I can do in software
>    (or firmware) that will make this card work with PAL-I?

I'm Not actually sure how the PAL Tuners differ from each other. But I doubt

>    Does a PAL-I version of the PVR-350 exist, and where
>    would I buy one?  (I've seen the PVR-250 in stores here,
>    but never the 350.)

Yes they do, I bought one recently. I got it from www.savastore.com for 107
exc. VAT
I believe amazon also sell them, the postage from them might be a bit

>    Has anyone got a PVR-350 (or 250) working with NTL's
>    cable service (the basic analogue package) in Dublin?
>    Does anyone want to buy a PAL-B/G PVR-350, as new?  :)

Just out of interest, How much did you buy it for?