[mythtv-users] insmod of ivtv causes segfault on pundit w/ pvr-250

Blues Guy bluesguy_1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 09:00:10 EST 2004

> I did some searching into the archives, and it seems
> that people have
> had this problem, but no solution seems to have been
> posted.
>
> After a full re-install w/ fedora following Jarod's
> docs, I get to the
> poing where I do a modprobe ivtv, and I get a Seg
> Fault.  I also tried
> to modprobe/insmod the modules as stated in the ivtv
> faq, but when I get
> to insmod ivtv.o, it also causes a seg fault.

Don't have a definite answer, but here are some
thoughts...

1) Are you sure your hardware is good?  Bad memory
maybe?  If the system works fine without the 250, you
could rule this out pretty quickly, but given that you
said you've had problems before... just a thought.

2) Are you using Axel's RPM's?  I use a 250 (rev2) and
a 350 in a Pundit, with the latest firmware (17_21288)
and the 0.1.9-22 ivtv rpm's from Axel's, and things
work (mostly) smoothly here.  A few hiccups, but
they're known bugs, and certainly not the level of
broken you're dealing with.

> After that, I find this in /proc/modules :
>
> ivtv                   89324 (initializing)
> videodev                8928   0 [ivtv]
> i2c-algo-bit            8552   0 [ivtv]
> i2c-core               20868   0 [ivtv msp3400
> saa7115 tuner
> i2c-algo-bit]
>
> It never leaves the initializing state, I can't
> uninstall it, and if I
> try to reboot, the system locks up when trying to
> bring the eth0
> interface down.  (This is on a Pundit).

3) Did you compile your own ethernet driver?   Jarod
left that section in his guide for a while (removed
recently I think), but with Fedora on the Pundit, you
don't need to.  The driver that ships with Fedora
works just fine...

> Failing that, does anyone have any suggestions?  The
> card seem to be
> present..
>
> 00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
> [SiS] USB 2.0
> Controller (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
>         Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown
> device 807a
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency
> 32, IRQ 5
>         Memory at d9000000 (32-bit,
> non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>         Capabilities: [50] Power Management version
> 2

4)  This isn't the output from a 250... lspci -v for a
250 should look something like this:

00:13.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext
Compression Inc: Unknown device 0016 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.:
Unknown device 4009
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64,
IRQ 15
        Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
[size=64M]

Are you sure the card is being recognized?  Maybe it
isn't seated firmly in the socket?  Getting those
cards in a Pundit is a bit of a challenge sometimes...