[mythtv-users] Homemade case... ;-)

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Fri Jan 30 07:16:08 EST 2004

Henk Poley wrote:

>This is an EPIA board, if I'm not mistaken, they don't output that much
>power. Max. 60W intake on an EPIA + RAM + big HD + DVD-ROM. The tv-card
>(PVR?) might add quite a bit though. His casing is aluminium so it should
>the take warmth out (though he puts a a rubber coating on the inside?)
>
>All I can say, keep us informed! :-)
>
>	Henk Poley <><
>
>----------
>

>>Van: Oxygen <oxygen at asisard.com>
>>
>>That, definitely, looks beautiful.
>>
>>Great work.
>>
>>How is the air moving thru the case? My only worry would be that, if
>>

>there's
>

>>no blow and intake of air, it will eventually get very very hot...
>>
>>But aesthetically it looks wonderful.

One thing that you might consider trying...  Since the outer case is
aluminum with a large radiant surface area, all you would need is a heat
conductive conduit to pass the hest "through" the interior rubber
lining.  I would suggest mounting some heatsinks on the inside of the
case and attach these directly to the aluminum case.  These would then
act as "heat collectors" and would suck the heat from the interior to
radiate it via the exterior surface.

Use the aluminum case itself as a heat sink.  You might even consider
thermally connecting "hot" components mechanically to the exterior
case.  Although, you have to be careful of that whereas the harddrive
could "sing" louder as it would then have a large sounding board.  Use
the passive collection system I suggested if heat does become a problem
or the "super quiet" fan is not quiet enough.

Nice workmanship BTW, good job on the package!  :)

TomW