[mythtv-users] MythWeather questions

Shawn Asmussen asmussen at cox.net
Thu Jan 29 16:50:21 EST 2004

Mark Henman said:
> I have three questions about MythWeather:
>
> 1. I am a dialup user (yes, it sucks) and as such I need to first
> establish my
> internet connection before running mythweather.  Is there a way for it to
> issue
> an  'ifup ppp0' prior to trying to fetch its data, and an 'ifdown ppp0'
> when
> exiting.   (The same applies to MythNews and MythBrowser, but my wife
> really
> wants the weather and doesn't like ssh, so that's my #1 priority.)

If you want to use a dialup connection, I would recomend using something
like diald:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/diald/?topic_id=20%2C87%2C136%2C150%2C152

Once it's setup, it automatically brings up the ppp interface whenever
traffic is attempted over that interface, and shuts it down automatically
after inactivity. If you setup something like that, then anything that
requires internet access should work automatically from that point on, and
you won't have to setup each individual program that requires internet
access to startup the ppp interface. For example, when mythfilldatabase
ran it would try to reach the internet, and diald would automatically
bring the
 ppp interface up, and after mythfilldatabase finished, and the connection
sat idle for a few minutes, diald would shutdown the ppp interface. I'm
assuming that right now you just have the cron job that fills the
database manuall startup/shutdown the ppp interface? With some sort of
dial on demand solution, everything that needs internet access should
just work. IMDB lookups for mythvideo, mythfilldatabase, mythweather,
etc... all should work without having to make separate hacks. There are
other programs that do about the same thing, I just happen to be familiar
with diald because I used it many years ago before high speed internet
became available.

Shawn Asmussen