[mythtv-users] Watching recordings in progress

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jan 29 00:37:32 EST 2004

On Jan 28, 2004, at 20:26, Jason G. wrote:

>     I had been watching some shows that I'd recorded overnight, and had
> finally caught up.  There was an episode of the Simpsons that had
> started at
> 7:30, and the recording was still in progress.  I (apparently
> foolishly)
> decided that I wanted to watch that from the start while it was still
> recording.  This operation happened fine, but it turns out that the
> recording stopped when I started watching the recording.
>
>     So, my first question is:  Is this supposed to happen?

No. I do that all the time, and I've never had a recording up and stop.
Skipping forward gets tedious just after the program stops recording
and commercial flagging starts, but no, what you saw shouldn't happen.

> (I imagine I'm supposed to
> be able to watch (from the beginning) something that's being recorded,
> and
> that the NFS setup I'm using is borking things up.)

No clue. I don't use an NFS setup, but I believe plenty of folks do,
and I've never heard of that happening... Try it again, see if you can
make it happen again, perhaps it was a one-time fluke.

>     On related note, I've noticed that I can get the frontend/backend
> to get
> _super_ confused when trying to delete programs that didn't complete
> (like
> this one).  When I select it for deletion, and choose "Yes, but record
> this
> episode again", I can hear disk activity in the other room on the NFS
> server, and the frontend seems to freeze.  After about 15-20 seconds,
> the
> GUI starts to redraw, but stops after rendering the program list and
> the
> episode list (the details and preview don't render in the bottom half
> of the
> screen).  At this point the frontend is hung.  After restarting the
> frontend, I can repeat the hang as many times as I'd like (i.e. try to
> delete the partial program, long pause, hang).  The only way out of
> this
> viscious circle is to restart the backend process.  Once that's done,
> the
> deletion occurs as normal.  This definitely seems like a bug.  Any
> ideas on
> where I'd start tracking it down?

I've not had a program fail to finish recording in ages, but when I
did, there were never any problems like this. Perhaps you've got some
disk performance issues...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...