[mythtv-users] Success! - MPEG4 .nuv files burned to DVD

Mike Smith easygreenus at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 00:36:28 EST 2004

Hi,

Figured out how to transcode the MPEG4 .nuv files to
a DVD format, burn it to DVD and have it play on my
DVD player.

I built a nuvexport module that does this.  Its only
tested on .nuv files captured at 640x480 with 32000hz
audio.  But,  I think it should work with other
resolutions.

I just copied the module for exporting to SVCD and
experimented with some of the options.  The key
for me was doing de-interlacing in the yuvdenoise
stage and an audio bitrate of 384.  Moving the
de-interlacing out of mpeg2enc to yuvdenoise really
improved the quality and speed.  For some reason,
my DVD player won't work unless the audio bitrate is
384.

It takes about 3 hours to transcode 30 mintues of
video.  If you've cut out commercials it will reduce
the time.  That's on a 2.4Ghz Pentium.

You can transcode multiple episodes of your favorite
program and put the .vob files into a single
directory.
They will each end up as a chapter on the DVD.  I
can put 9 1/2 episodes ( with commercials removed )
on a single DVD.

I'm sending the module to Chris and I assume he'll
include it in the latest version of nuvexport.

Mike