[mythtv-users] tv to dvd?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 28 21:18:50 EST 2004

Quoting Dave W <nospam1 at 3wlogic.net>:

> I see that myth can rip DVDs and transcode them and then burn them.  Can
> recorded TV programs also easily be burned to DVD, and if so, are we stuck
> at around two hours per DVD or is much more possible???
If you use an ivtv board, burning to TV is pretty easy (albeit not integrated
directly into MythTV so far).

The subject of how to do it has been covered on this list a few times in the
past two weeks (in fact some info today), so look through the archives.

You can fit more than 2 hours on a DVD, but if you go more than 2-3 hours per
DVD the quality starts dropping noticeably.

If you want to fit LOTS of video onto a DVD, you could burn MPEG-4 to a DVD, but
it wouldn't work in any hardware players except for the recently released
DivX-capable players.  (Not to be confused with the old evil DIVX psudo-DVD
format.  :)