[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA-M as a tiny frontend

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Wed Jan 28 20:56:05 EST 2004

Does anyone have a good idea of the cheapest VIA EPIA M
motherboard I could find that would run MythTv only as a
stand-alone diskless front end?  My idea is to take a very small
mini-ITX motherboard and use it with the onboard components
only, no add on cards, in a very tiny homemade case, with no fans,
and no power supply, or maybe just a 12-12V supply, and no
drives.  Only a stick of ram, flash adapter for boot, and the network
connection.  Perhaps even a RF modulator modded into the case as
well.  the goal would be the smallest totally fanless box I could get
that would run a copy of mythfrontend to just display recorded content
over the network from the main server.  It would be displayed on a
small TV in the bedroom.  It would not be used for anything else, and
would play only MPEG4 content.  Anything on the server gets converted
to MPEG4 if it isn't already.  I keep seeing V8000A's, but I think those
don't have TV out.  I'd need that.  How well does the TV out work compared
to say, a NVIDIA GF4 MX440SE that I have in the main box?  Very low
power consumption, and noiseless would be key.  Any ideas?  Maybe other
mini-ITX boards?