[mythtv-users] adding a 'shutdown button' to myth exit menu

Jeff jeff at intersystems.com
Wed Jan 28 19:09:25 EST 2004

At 03:22 PM 1/28/2004 -0800, you wrote:
> > Myth already has this option, but if you're running a machine that has a
> > backend on it, the option is disabled (to prevent you from shutting the
> > machine down while a scheduled recording is going on, I think).
>
>I was wondering why that went away.  So what happens when you actually
>want to shut the machine down, and have disabled all other logins, etc?
>(not that I do/have, but I'm curious).

If you have a keyboard, CTRL-ALT-F1 (most distros) and you'll get
a "tty" window. Log in as root and run shutdown (shutdown -p will
power the box down if the kernel is built right).

If you don't have a keyboard, telnet in from another machine on your
network.

If you don't have a keyboard and you don't have a network (I'm impressed)
press the power button on the front of the box or remove the plug from the
wall.
Most likely, nothing bad will happen :-)

Set up a button on the remote with irxevent and use irexec to bring
up a choice that asks if you want to shut down the machine. Maybe code
this so you have to enter something on the remote to ok the shutdown.
Since I've switched to Myth with built-in lirc support I haven't been able to
get the mouse to interact with the Xdialog window so you may need a mouse
for this.