[mythtv-users] Kind of offtopic - how do you make a DVD under linux?

Ajay Sharma ssharma at amntv.com
Tue Jan 27 14:58:53 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 00:29, Chris Delis wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:33:46AM -0500, Dwaine Garden wrote:
> > Ajay Sharma wrote:
> > >I've used mkdvd and it works, but it's DAMN SLOW.  I have an Athlon
> > >1900+ and transcoding about a hour of video took four days.  No joke,
> > >FOUR DAYS.  But at the end of the whole process, I had a DVD ISO that I
> > >burned with k3b.
> >
> > That just sucks.   I'm trying to get some videos onto a dvd-r and watch
> > them on my player.   Seems impossible.
> >
> > Even nuvexport takes about two days to make a svcd.
> >
> > I can not believe all the utils in Linux, and all of them suck that
> > much.  It kind of defeats the purpose of buying a PVR-350 card.

Whooops... I didn't mean to imply that I was working with files created
from a pvr-250.  The mkdvd stuff was working with a bunch of video that
I had from "other" sources.

Like others have said, if you're capturing from a pvr-*50 card then you
can get video that ready for a DVD player and you don't have to do any
transcoding.  So creating a DVD from that should be a snap.

later,
ajay