[mythtv-users] alternate ways of viewing recorded shows

Steve s019 at krans.org
Tue Jan 27 11:41:09 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 05:58:14PM -0500, Matthew M Murphy wrote:
> I would like to use mythweb to configure which shows are recorded, and
> then access the recorded shows via my laptop (wifi, linux) or my wife's
> laptop (windows).
>
> I was thinking of writing a simple php script to list shows that have been
> recorded, and provide a hyperlink to the recorded file so that it (or a
> converted version of it) transfers via http and plays back in windows
> media player, etc.
>
> I'm new to mythtv and haven't installed it yet (or ordered my card) but I
> have a few questions about this approach before I do so:
>
> 1) any better ideas for how to accomplish this simple functionality?
> 2) does mythweb/mythtv already do this?
> 3) any caveats?
>
> I'm thinking of going with this approach b/c I don't watch too much TV and
> figure that most of the stuff I do watch I can watch on my laptop, and
> when/if I want to watch something on the actual TV I can just plug my
> laptop into that (via the built-in s-video output).

I don't use MythTV frontend, only the backend and several WinXP laptops for
viewing the recordings with ZoomPlayer.  I share out the recordings drive
via Samba, and have a TV directory that has friendly filenames that link to
the actual recordings.  The links are created with a perl script that I
wrote, probably very similar to the one included in the MythTV
distribution.  Simple solution and works well.

Steve