[mythtv-users] Myth in 20 hours!

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 27 00:23:05 EST 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 20:07, Pierre-Olivier Bouchard wrote:

> I already did it in ~8 hours compiling _everything_ from source using
> gentoo, but I was only reformatting my current setup (no messing
> around to find what to configure and how, all the config files were
> backed up).

An entire bare-metal Gentoo install from stage1 to working in only 8
hours on a Celery?!?... I'd swear I put in at least 30 hours of
compiling over the course of a week here on a dual PIII-733 system to
get everything up and running, but that did included full emerges of
gnom, kde and xfce4...

> The thing was only a Celeron 1100A (rebranded P3, has the same amount
> of cache - so not fast, but not slow either). I'm still surprised
> everything was compiled and running so quick!

Oh, and if we're going to compare bare-metal to fully working and fully
up to date MythTV system times, I can certainly beat 8 hours. My best
is sub-2.5 hours. (On Red Hat, all binary rpms -- I could shave another
.5 to 1 hour off if I didn't worry about getting completely up to date
with all my packages ;-).

Jon wrote:
> Just thought I'd drop a note in here to let you know my experience
> with setting up MythTV for the first time…
> [snip]
> So here I am at 7:20am, having spent the best part of 20 hours solid
> on this thing and it rocks! Next bits to sort out will be the TV-out
> from the PVR-350 (I'm saving that one for when I'm awake a bit more),
> possibly add in another capture card I've got kicking around (WinTV
> 2000XP Deluxe) and to build an IR sender or figure out the serial port
> to change channels on the satellite box once I move it from my desk to
> the living room - WAF allowing.

If you have the serial option, its definitely MUCH easier. I got a
serial connection to my cable box up and running in all of about 15
minutes on the first try this past weekend.

> So *many* thanks to Jarod for the hard work he's put into the install
> guide, certainly paid off for me, although I did have fun trying to
> figure out the differences for a PAL B/G tuner / installation and New
> Zealand TV channels, but would have taken me MUCH longer without the
> guide.

=]

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE