[mythtv-users] Encoding/capture settings

Kevin Kuphal kevin.kuphal at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 26 14:48:22 EST 2004

I would guess that many of you on the list are using something to capture
video from VCR tapes or other sources to store/archive on Linux for playback
using MythTV.  Anyone care to share their ffmpeg or other software switches
that generate the best results?  I've been starting this process with ffmpeg
but I'm finding some artifacts during movement that I didn't find when
encoding things on my Windows system and I'm guessing it is some kind of
option I'm not enabling.

Currently I'm using:

ffmpeg -vd /dev/video0 -ad /dev/dsp2 -tvstd NTSC -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec mp3
-b 2200 -g 300 -me full -s 352x288 -aspect 4:3 -t $2 -4mv -f avi "$1"

Where $1 is the filename and $2 is the duration (set and forget)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin