[mythtv-users] Rethinking Xbox-Myth

Duane Ellis duane at franklin.com
Mon Jan 26 12:10:18 EST 2004

duane>>    [... NFS mounting...]

dennis> This will work fine for experienced Linux users ... most xbox
	users tend to be of a less experienced nature.

I think it is on a par with your steps (6 of one, half-dozen of the
other). Can you detail more the process you go through to:

a) build this distribution and the associated tar files....

b) the complete install procedure - assuming you start with the mech
   installer. Your existing setup assumes you know quite a bit of xbox
   how-to already.

Certianly once an NFS ROOT solution is in place, enduser/newbie
xbox-myth updating is a very simple process - basically - unpack the
new distribution file(s) into a specific directory. Then perhaps use a
symbolic or hard link to specify the "current" version to use.

Kernel updates - might be a bit tougher but I think there is less
activity there, as they have to be dropped on the xbox by other means.
However, that is a single file that needs to updated.

richie: >> Incidentally, regarding ftp'ing to the box - when should
	   this be done?  Are you supposed to boot into emergency
	   linux after the mechinstaller has done its trick, and just
	   slap the files onto the /mnt/E drive?

Thats the part that has me confused too. The install procedure assumes
you know quite a bit about how to install xbox linux 'from scratch'
vrs an automated installer.

In my case, I need to tweak a number of these files to match my
environment.... I think others do to. Hence, my 6-of-one view point.

dennis> Having said that, I would welcome more involvement from other
	people in the xbox frontend specific version.

Yes, I want to help do this - if not do this version my self.

-Duane.