[mythtv-users] Two bttv cards - trying to access the second audio stream

Bob Bulloch bbulloch at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 25 17:08:01 EST 2004

	I have myth running on gentoo. I'm using alsa. The first bttv
card works fine. I can watch live tv, record etc and the sound is sync'd
fine. When I try to use the second bttv card, I cannot figure out how to
get to the second audio stream.

	I have 2 audio cards, the first is an on-board using the
intel8x0 module, and the second is a pci card that uses the ens1371
module. Both have a patch cord linking the bttv audio-out to the sound
cards' line-in. When I lspci, I see them both. Under /proc/asound they
both appear, listed as card0 and card1. I think the problem arises from
what does not appear under /dev

	So far /dev/dsp is a link to /dev/sound/dsp

	The /dev/sound directory looks like this:

    drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           0 Dec 31  1969 ../
    crw-rw----    1 root     audio          0 Dec 31  1969 audio
    crw-rw----    1 root     audio          0 Dec 31  1969 dsp
    crw-rw----    1 root     audio          0 Dec 31  1969 mixer
    crw-rw----    1 root     audio          0 Dec 31  1969 sequencer
    crw-rw----    1 root     audio          0 Dec 31  1969 sequencer2
    crw-rw----    1 root     audio          0 Dec 31  1969 unknown

Isn't there supposed to be /dev/dsp0 /dev/dsp1 etc?

	The first bttv card is using /dev/dsp, but I have nothing to
tell the second bttv card to use.

	I have tried aplay -Dhw.1 with pop.wav and it plays ok (from the
speaker out on second card). I can use alsamixer -c0 and alsamixer -c1.
So I am assuming that alsa is working on the second card.

	I've tried playing around in /etc/modules.d/alsa but nothing
seems to make any difference.

	Do I need to manually create new /dev/dsp 's and if so how?

Thanks

Bob