[mythtv-users] Frontend "Couldn't find Xv support" problem with PVR 350 TV out

Jason G. sredni.vashtar at comcast.net
Sun Jan 25 03:02:51 EST 2004

Hi,

    I'm having trouble viewing pre-recorded shows on my myth system.

    Here's a brief synopsis of my system:

    Celeron 2.0G on an ASUS P4G8X board (Intel chipset)
    WinTV PVR 350 for all output using ivtv-fb
    Netbooted via PXE and NFS
    Using ivtv 0.1.9
    Using mythtv from CVS (as of this evening's version)
    (my ivtv module configs are included below)
    Running Gentoo 1.4

    Here's the problem:

    (The backend works fine, and records shows just fine.)  When I start up the frontend, I get the GUI interface through my 350 card just fine, and I'm able to wander through and set configs, etc.  When I watch live TV, everything seems to work fine (no video stuttering/slowness, etc.) and I can change channels; basically do all the live TV things that I'm intended to do.

  The problem comes when I try to view any of my pre-recorded shows.  I can navigate through the list of shows in the GUI, and I see the tiny little preview video showing me the content.  When I select a show to view, I get to a black screen and the frontend freezes.

2004-01-24 23:27:22 Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
***
* Couldn't find Xv support, falling back to non-Xv mode.
* MythTV performance will be much slower since color
* conversion and scaling will be done in software.
* Consider upgrading your video card or X server if
* you would like better performance.
2004-01-24 23:27:22 Changing from None to WatchingPreRecorded
waiting for free video buffers timed out
waiting for free video buffers timed out
waiting for free video buffers timed out
waiting for free video buffers timed out
waiting for free video buffers timed out

    There are no errors on the backend, and nothing in the syslogs.

    I've seen a couple other posts where people note the same problem, but there's been no solution that I've seen so far.  I've got the MythTV setup set to use the PVR 350 decoder for playback.  I'm really a bit confused why live TV doesn't see this problem, since it's essentially doing a bit less work (no encoding).  Given that it works for live tv, I'm inclined to think that this is a mythtv issue rather than an ivtv one, but I'm not all that familar with the guts of myth.

    Does anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong?

    Thanks,
    Jason

-----
modules.d/ivtv:

alias   char-major-61   lirc_i2c
alias   char-major-81   videodev
alias   char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv    ivtv_debug=0 mpg_buffers=90
options tuner   type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
options saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 saa7127 tuner
#add above ivtv ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c ivtv-fb
add above ivtv ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c

----