[mythtv-users] Excellent quality TVOUT from almost any video card

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Jan 24 23:20:15 EST 2004

	Hello all.  I just figured I'd let everyone know that I've almost
succeeded in my quest to make "perfect" tvout... without a tvout-capable video
card.  I finished my VGA-Composite/SVIDEO converter board which uses an AD724
chip to do the conversion... The results are stunning.

	I suspected the NVIDIA card I was using was crappier than it should
be...turns out I was right.  I think that for the most part, it doesn't matter
what resolution you run a tvout-capable card at, they tend to suck.  This
is mostly due to the scanline conversion it has to do, but also because of the
deinterlace it typically does as well.

	The board doesn't do anything except convert from RGB/HV to Y/C NTSC
video.  The good/bad thing is you program the video card to produce
honest-to-goodness NTSC (or PAL if you prefer) H/V timings at 29.97 Hz
interlaced.  The VGA monitor croaks at it, but the chip converts to a true NTSC
signal on either composite or svid.  Results look as good or better than
directly from a dvd player (on svid, anyway).

	Once I get the bugs worked out, I'll post the info.

	One other software-related bug, but I'll post another message on
that...

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*