[mythtv-users] Re:looks like ananova pulled the plug on tv_grab_uk

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Sat Jan 24 08:16:45 EST 2004

> My own suspicion is that the best way in the future will be for the
> TV tuner cards to capture the EPG data that is broadcast ... and
> then have software to capture/view etc I haven't looked closely at
> mythtv to see if it has modules to do this, but I do know that there
> is software around that can for some of the satellite cards.

With DirecTV and digital cable, a stupid-sounding solution might
actually provide the greatest long-term benefit, despite a large
startup cost: OCR of the guide data on the satellite box.  No one's
going to take away my access to that. :) It's also likely to be pretty
resistant to errors, since the characters are computer-generated and
thus as close to perfect for OCR as can be.

Thanks to my friend Phil for suggesting this one.

Cheers,
Kyle